With everything that’s been going on around here lately, and especially all the BS at work, I’ve really had to pay attention to whether or not I’m picking up unwanted energies. It turns out that I pick up, and hold onto, more energy than most people (the reasons for which I may or may not go into in another post). So I’ve had to devise strategies to not only get rid of these unwanted energies, but to prevent picking them up in the first place. One of the methods I use is energetic shielding.
Every night, sometime between getting home from work and going to bed, I have a little routine I follow to clear out any crappy energies I may have picked up during the day and repair the energetic shields I use to help protect myself from the worst of the negativity I run across. It occurred to me that others (who may be unfamiliar with shielding) might benefit from the concept so I decided to put something together explaining the process.
I’ve talked about chakras briefly before … the seven well known chakras are those that “connect” our physical bodies to our emotional/subtle bodies and the world we live in. In addition to our chakras each of us has an aura, or personal energy field, and both are susceptible to the influences of energies outside ourselves. When a negative or harmful energy is held either in a chakra or our auric field it causes a stagnation or blockage of the energy flow and may manifest as physical or emotional problems. I frequently have issues with either my back or neck and am prone to headaches from misaligned vertebrae.
For me, working with energies directly (grounding, keeping the chakras clear, playing with my grids, or practicing Reiki) does a really good job of keeping the energy flowing like it should. But then there are the external influences … and a lot of what I’ve had to deal with is people at work pissed off for one reason or another. So I shield. Heavily.
I start off doing a grounding session to clear out negative energies and bring in positive energies. I also clear out my chakras. Once that’s done, and sometimes it takes a little while if I have any blocked areas, I move on to shielding.
Shielding is basically just telling your energetic body how to protect itself from different types of external energies. I use visualization to “set” my shields, but it can also be done by drawing a representation of yourself, with a representation of your shield surrounding “you” on paper. A shield can be used to set the mood of your energetic body (sort of like curling up in a favorite blanket), to fend off negative energy, or even to project your energy in a particular manner.
Some of the energetic shields that I’ve used:
- Colored light – colors can be associated with mood or personality attributes. I like to use a multicolored shield close to my energetic body to soothe and “set the tone” for my day. Some color associations: blue=good communication or calm, green=healing, pink=calm/love, purple=power, yellow=thought/expression, red=passion, orange=creation.
- Mylar/one way “glass” – this works like a filter. Just as mylar filters sunlight through a window, this shield fiters energy … it blocks what you don’t want to get through, but lets through everything else.
- “Armor” – as the name implies, this shield completely blocks everything its programmed to keep out.
- Crystals – I use a layer of crystals to “tune” chaotic energies, harmonizing them to the loving energies in the universe. Crystal colors or attributes can also be used to fine tune the intent of this shield.
- “Superball” – remember superballs? Hard little balls that bounce really high? I use a shield layer that acts just like that. It repels negative or harmful energies by “bouncing” them away from me.
- Mirrors – similar to the mylar, but this doesn’t let as much in. It can also be used to reflect energies back to whomever sent them. Using colored mirrors reflects the energies away, but tempers them. I use pink to reflect negative energies back to the initiator with calm, loving energy (this really confuses some people if they are being super negative). This shield can be either a solid mirror or oodles of tiny mirrors, like a disco ball.
- “Bird Whackers” – we call these “Pigeon Whackers” here … they are all over the bill boards here and are used to keep birds from roosting on them. I use this shield to fling negative energies away from me.
- Electrical/Lightning – I visualize this shield like a Tesla ball. You know, those novelty thingys that look like lightning inside and you run your hand around the outside and the electricity follows? Except I use this to zap negative energies.
- Firebricks – not sure what else to call these. I see them as ceramic “bricks” that catch and burn up negative energy.
These are just a few of the shields I’ve used. There is no right or wrong type and anything your imagination comes up with will work. Once you know what you want your shield to look like and how you want it to perform, either visualize or draw the shield surrounding your body. You can also layer shields. I’m currently using 7 layers, each with a slightly different purpose. It makes a huge difference for me in my daily activities. If you’re a little too stressed or just get easily aggravated by your “normal” day, give a shield or two a try and see if it makes a difference for you.
© Copyright dragonfae 2012