, , ,

One of the things I’ve been trying to get to for, well it seems like forever, is the total mess that is in our house. It’s not a tiny house, but it’s not real big either. But two of the rooms (one hubby uses as a “study” and the other with the Bowflex, bird, and two of my fish tanks) have pretty much been used to dump all the stuff we didn’t have a place for at the time.

It’s been bugging me for a while, but it is one of those things that is just so big you don’t know where to start. I did start last weekend though. I got one room mostly straightened up, several cabinets reorganized, and a bit of the closet. There is still some straightening to do in there, but the other room is worse. Hubby wants to start using the Bowflex again, but I have a ton of “spare” stuff in the middle of the room. What’s worse is that room has all my bottles and jars that I use for the Dragonstone stuff as well as a bunch of packing materials (boxes, bubble wrap, labels).

So what the hell do you do when you have a ton of stuff that you don’t use regularly, don’t have room for, but can’t just toss? Hubby suggested a storage locker, but I don’t really want to have to go somewhere else to collect what’s needed for a specific task. I had thought of a storage shed, but didn’t think we had the room for anything significant, nor did I want to suggest spending a decent amount of cash. Well, hubby suggested just that Friday. And we decided that we did have the room out back and that the cost certainly wouldn’t be as bad as renting a storage locker. I did a few searches online and found a Rubbermaid shed at Home Depot that looked like it would fit the bill. We also ended up getting some shelving units and large bins to help with the organizing.

The new shed is roughly 7 feet square and almost 8 feet tall at it’s peak. The damn box barely fit in my truck bed but we got it all home OK. It’s all resin/plastic so it shouldn’t be a problem with the damp air here (we’re about a mile from the Pacific Ocean). So a good part of Saturday was spent assembling the shed and shelving. I have to say I’m quite impressed with the design and the instructions were more than adequate with lots of pictures. Other than it being a warm and humid day (why couldn’t we have decided to do this a few months ago when it was still cool?) things went pretty well … it took less than 4 hours to put everything together.

I’m glad it’s up and I’m hoping I’ll have the energy to move some of the stuff from the house out to the new shed Sunday. And that I’m not stiff and sore … I’m not used to doing this stuff! Now that the dog’s latest batch of herb cookies are done I can finally get to bed so I think I’ll go pass out now. πŸ˜‰

Β© Copyright dragonfae 2011